23.10.15

WANDER | NYC PART I

It was one of the best times of the year to travel to New York.
Summer was slowly transpiring into fall and the temperature made walking everywhere remarkably enjoyable instead of feet-dragging.
My first time to New York left me with lasting and profoundly fond memories to share; not only was it my first time travelling out of Asia, but it was also my first attempt at a solo trip.


 I would like to think that I’m solidly independent when it comes to my everyday life.
I have zero qualms about dining out alone, shopping around in town by myself or grabbing a book and heading out to a cafe to spend a quiet afternoon in nobody's company but my own.

 When it comes to travelling however, my dependency on people can get overwhelming.
My lack of organising and planning skills coupled with a dismal sense of direction make me look hopelessly towards my travel partners to deal with the nitty gritty details of travel.
 Case in point, I didn’t even know that I needed to do my visa for New York and had to do it in the most flustered manner over the check-in counter at the airport.


 I headed to New York with one huge luggage and left New York with tons of visuals captured during the trip, way more than a huge luggage, too much weight gain from eating more than I should, and a bright renewed sense of purpose and perspective.

 So here’s sharing some of the photos and places which I really enjoyed during my trip.
Before you shoot me an email asking me to share my itinerary or any tips on travelling to New York, I would just like to profess that I’m the worst planner you can find when it comes to travelling (or you could think of me as a spontaneous traveller LOL), and I must shamefully admit that I did not do up any detailed itinerary prior to my trip.
What I had was a compilation of places which I was keen to visit from my own research and recommendations from helpful friends, which I will be sharing on my blog.
I stayed in after evening hours so I usually use that time to decide where I want to check out the next day.

 As for getting around New York, I mainly do so by booking transport via Uber or walking when I’m in Manhattan.
It was costly and contributed to the bulk of my expenses there, but I was travelling alone and did not want to risk my sanity by trying to figure out the subway lines.

 I have arranged my photos for this trip into 3 main categories -
accommodation, places of interest and food.

This first post will feature the places I’ve stayed at and the direct links for booking these places.


P9179974 copy P9170002 copy P9179978 copy P9179988 copy P9179990 copy P9179995 copy
Dream Loft, Airbnb apartment
Direct link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3385338


P9180155 copy P9190296 copy P9190295 copy P9190298 copy P9190416 copyP9190419 copy P9190426 copy P9200884 copy
The Mezzo Loft, Airbnb apartment
Direct link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6171185


P9210890 copy P9210895 copy
P9210913 copyP9210903 copy P9210908 copyP9210911 copy P9210925 copy P9210927 copy P9210929 copy P9221042 copy P9221040 copy P9221043 copy P9221055 copy P9221052 copy P9221064 copy P9221061 copy
Wythe Hotel
Direct link: http://wythehotel.com/


Solo travelling is something which I thought I would want to do at least once this lifetime, but never would I have thought that it was going to be this year and to somewhere so far from home.
 I guess the impulsive streak in me made me give little thought to the potential perils and went ahead with booking the tickets without consulting anyone beforehand.
That and the fact that the air tickets were cheap. Hahaha.
Wanting to get away from the rut I was stuck in at work and to regroup my thoughts and plans was also one of the reasons why I needed time off.
And I would say that it was a trip well worth.

 I’m not done with posting all my photos yet so I’ll be back to share more about my trip.
Next up - places of interest and food recommendations!
Talk to you guys soon. X